Headlines for Monday, February 1, 2010
- Length: 4:41 minutes (4.29 MB)
- Format: MP3 Mono 44kHz 128Kbps (CBR)
Protests turn violent in Kashmir after tear gas shell kills youth
Clashes broke out between protestors and police in Indian administered Kashmir today after a boy was killed in police action on Sunday. Police have suspended an officer for the boys’ killing, but protestors say that’s not that’s not enough. Shahnawaz Khan, Srinagar.
Protests erupted in Srinagar, the summer capital of Indian administered Kashmir, early on Monday after the death of a teenaged boy the day before. The youth was killed by a stray tear gas shell. Police said one of their officers has been suspended for what they described as not taking adequate precautions while firing a tear gas shell towards a mob pelting stones. However, witnesses say tat the shooting was unprovoked. A large number of mourners escorted the boy’s body today from his house to the Martyrs Graveyard. Protestors clashed with police throughout the city. Businesses and public transport were badly affected. Kashmiri separatist groups have called for a shutdown on Wednesday. This is at least fourth instance of a civilian killing by police or paramilitary in Kashmir during the last month alone. There has also been a sudden increase in gunfights between militants and security forces in the last month, though officials say 2009 saw the least violence in two decades. Shahnawaz Khan, FSRN, Srinagar.
US simulates attack by Iran – missile defense system fails
The US tested an anti-ballistic missile system yesterday – and for the first time they simulated an attack from Iran. Past tests have been designed to intercept a possible strike by North Korea. The long range defense system test was unsuccessful. The Defense Department says that a component built by Raytheon failed in Sunday’s exercise.
Teens among dead in Mexico massacre
Residents of Ciudad Juarez are reacting to another gruesome mass murder this weekend. This time, the majority of the victims were high school students. Shannon Young has more.
About 60 teenagers were attending a birthday party when heavily-armed gunmen arrived in a convoy, blocked off the street, shot at neighbors, and burst into a small private home. The gunmen opened fire on the party goers, killing 14 and wounding another 14. Most of the dead are students under the age of 18. Some were fatally shot while attempting to escape the massacre by scaling the walls of a patio where many were trapped. Neighbors and relatives transported the wounded in private vehicles and complained of a delayed response by police and soldiers. Ciudad Juarez averages around 7 murders a day, but this massacre was unusual in that it occurred in a private home and targeted students. The Mexican press often refers to Ciudad Juarez as the murder capitol of the world. The city witnessed 227 homicides in January alone. Shannon Young, FSRN, Mexico.
Al-Shabab joins forces with al-Qaeda
Somali insurgent group al-Shabab has confirmed they have joined forces with al-Qaeda’s worldwide campaign. The group issued a statement today that also confirms they have made an alliance with a smaller group known as Kamboni. Much of southern and Central Somalia is controlled by Islamist insurgents who seek to overthrow the ruling government and impose a strict form of Sharia law. In the nation’s capitol, Mogadishu, the struggle claimed another eight civilians last night.
World Food Program suspends aid in NW Afghanistan
The United Nations food agency has temporarily suspended food aid deliveries to parts northwestern Afghanistan following Saturday's attack on its convoy. Jocelyn Sambira reports from the UN.
The World Food Programme says that eight commercial trucks it had contracted were destroyed and one damaged in the attack which took place in Badghis Province. WFP's information officer in Kabul, Challiss McDonough, told the UN Humanitarian Information Service that one truck driver was injured in the incident and another, along with his truck is unaccounted for. The other 19 trucks in the convoy were not damaged. The agency, which feeds over six million vulnerable people in Afghanistan, again called on the warring parties to allow safe passage for food aid. Jocelyne Sambira for UN Radio.