July 4th Special: FSRN exclusive interview with Noam Chomsky
- Year: ÿþ2
- Length: 29:11 minutes (26.71 MB)
- Format: MP3 Mono 44kHz 128Kbps (CBR)
Noam Chomsky is well-known for a lot of things, from his extensive and pivotal contributions to the field of linguistics to launching, and maintaining, a critical global discussion about propaganda in mass media. He’s authored more than 100 books; has been presented with dozens of honorary degrees and awards, and has taught at MIT for 58 years. Professor Chomsky recently invited FSRN to his office in Cambridge for an extended interview, conducted by our producer, Catherine Komp. On today’s program, we bring you most of that interview, exploring labor and worker-run collectives; the influence of the ruling elite on public policies; and the role of independent media and grassroots movements like Occupy.
A substantial part of FSRN's budget comes from donations by listeners like you. Help keep FSRN independent and strong. You can make a one-time or recurring donation on our secure server at this link. Your donations are tax deductible.
If you prefer to donate by mail:
Free Speech Radio News
DEPT LA 23923
Pasadena, CA 91185-3923
If you prefer to use PayPal, our paypal address is fsrn.payables (at) gmail.com
Free Speech Radio News is produced by Pacifica Reporters Against Censorship, a nonprofit 501c3 corporation.
Noam Chomsky Fundraiser
As FSRN faces another financial crisis, Professor Chomsky has offered his support yet again. In May, he sat down with FSRN for an extended on-camera interview. The conversation touched on issues ranging from worker power to the contemporary media to the Occupy movement. FSRN's interview with Professor Chomsky will air on July 4. We’re offering our grassroots supporters the opportunity to be the first to see this interview, by making a contribution to FSRN.
- For $100, you will receive a DVD of FSRN's interview with Noam Chomsky or a copy of his his book Occupy.
- For $150, you can receive both.
- For $200, you can receive a copy of Occupy signed by Professor Chomsky.
Other Support Levels
Grassroots Network: $1 to $999 - What can your gift provide?
· $60 pays a reporter and editor for one headline report
· $100 covers the telephone bill for our news anchor for one month
· $500 covers our web hosting expenses for one month
· $900 pays a reporter for one 30-minute audio documentary
"Each day, I have the honor to work with amazing reporters around the country and around the world. They collect the voices and tell the stories of people whose lives are changed by the policies and the politics of the powerful. Without these voices, and so many others, no story is fully told. Help us continue to bring you complete coverage of the events that shape our world." - Headlines editor Nell Abram
Global News Sustainer: $1,000 to $9,999 - What could these donations support?
· $1,500 pays our workers' comp insurance for a year
· $2,000 pays our independent reporters' commissions for one week
· $3,900 pays our editorial team for one week
· $5,500 covers our liability insurance for one year
· $9,000 pays our technical sound producers for two months
"At a time of ever-increasing media consolidation and the corporate media's narrowing of the debate around austerity, war, and peace, FSRN provides a grassroots citizen's perspective on critical local and global issues. Independent media like FSRN is something worth fighting for…" - FSRN reporter and Steering Committee member Jaisal Noor
Leadership Circle: $10,000 to $49,999 - How might these generous gifts be used?
· $10,000 provides our operating expenses for one week ·
· $15,000 covers our administrative overhead for one year ·
· $24,000 funds our headlines reporters for one year ·
· $43,000 funds our headlines editors for one year
"Expanding our presence in Africa bucks the trend of most media outlets in the US. As always we strive to connect our listeners to journalists who speak the local languages, know the local customs, and approach stories not as outsiders air-dropped in from the West, but as social insiders." - Headlines editor Jes Burns
Independent Media Mavens: $50,000 and above - These major gifts would help journalism thrive:
· $50,000 supports our Washington, D.C., bureau for one year
· $75,000 covers our feature reporters' commissions for one year at the current commission rate
· $500,000 would expand FSRN to a one-hour daily show
"I work every day to bring you the voices of the people directly impacted by these issues, and search the halls of Congress to get those making key decisions on the record.We know you don’t need fluff and speculation. That’s why we provide you with critical and independent reporting." - DC Editor Alice Ollstein